Monday, May 22, 2006

I have a confession to make… I depend on “networking” way too much! Many people may consider being well “networked” a good thing, but I’ve come to terms with the harsh reality it is NOT. Ever since I was about 15 or 16 I’ve depended on networking to help me get things whether it is a job, a spot on a sport team, into a different social network etc… I don’t believe I did it consciously, but I believe how I have networked myself has certainly shaped how my life had panned out so far.

I came to this realization just recently and only because moving to a new country has exposed my dependency on networking because I now have no network to fall back on. Now that I am out looking for some dead end job here in Adelaide I have no network to go to and ask for recommendations as to where I should work. TO be honest back in Canada I’ve been out of the job hunt for awhile and the one or two times I went to pick something up for a short period of time I tapped into my network to get that job.

I guess it is true that certain situations in your life will make you learn about yourself, usually the stuff that you would never think of otherwise and well… moving to Australia has not made me learn much about myself, but it has exposed my dependency on networking. I will have to use my spinster skills and convince myself that this is a good thing and having to find a job on my own is a good thing, but it also leads me to believe I better pick up on creating a new network.. TO THE PUB!!

THINGS I LIKE THIS WEEK
  • I love Sports Illustrated and the 10 issues I got in the mail last week. Reading that magazine is my cocaine

THINGS I DO NOT LIKE THIS WEEK

  • Australian tax file number and the fact that I don't have one yet... this may cause employment problems for Danny

No comments: